Welcome to AutoBoardz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

98 Grand Marquis Alternator light

 
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Ford/Mercury -> Mercury Marquis Forum RSS
Next:  98 Grand Marquis rattle in exhaust system  
Author Message
mstrspy

External


Since: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 53



(Msg. 1) Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:55 am
Post subject: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light
Archived from groups: alt>autos>ford (more info?)

My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
expensive (wishfull thinking)

 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
Sharon Cooke

External


Since: Oct 16, 2006
Posts: 160



(Msg. 2) Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:55 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mstrspy wrote:
> My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
> because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
> light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
> it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
> expensive (wishfull thinking)

If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out,
although it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt
(tensioner). Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in
voltmeter for $15 or so, and go by that.

 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
Tom Adkins

External


Since: Dec 17, 2006
Posts: 150



(Msg. 3) Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:47 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Sharon Cooke wrote:
>
>
> mstrspy wrote:
>> My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>> because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
>> light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
>> it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
>> expensive (wishfull thinking)
>
> If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out,
> although it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt
> (tensioner). Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in
> voltmeter for $15 or so, and go by that.

The alternator on your GM is pretty durable, and very repairable. The occasional
battery light is because the brushes are likely near the end of their life though. Get
a brush holder and brush kit along with a regulator from a "real" parts store like
NAPA. ~$30, maybe. Pull the alternator, replace the entire "square" looking assembly
on the back of the alternator (4 torx screws). It should then outlast the car. If the
belt is OEM, replace it along with the tensioner. This ~$100 system tune up should
keep your GM reliable for quite some time.
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
Jim Warman1

External


Since: Jun 22, 2003
Posts: 559



(Msg. 4) Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:55 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Better idea... take the 15 bucks and put it towards a decent DMM. Once you
have it in hand, use the instruction book to learn how to perform voltage
drop testing.... Having a DMM and KNOWING HOW TO USE IT TO ITS ABILITIES
will (and I kid you not) turn you into a repair wizard....

The DMM is the most underused, misunderstood tools that anyone can
possess....


"Sharon Cooke" wrote in message

>
>
> mstrspy wrote:
>> My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>> because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
>> light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
>> it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
>> expensive (wishfull thinking)
>
> If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out, although
> it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt (tensioner).
> Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in voltmeter for $15
> or so, and go by that.
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
mstrspy

External


Since: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 53



(Msg. 5) Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:55 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thear does have a volt meter. The volts read okay. An ammeter woud
have been better .

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:54:33 -0600, Sharon Cooke
wrote:

>
>
>mstrspy wrote:
>> My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>> because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
>> light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
>> it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
>> expensive (wishfull thinking)
>
>If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out,
>although it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt
>(tensioner). Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in
>voltmeter for $15 or so, and go by that.
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
mstrspy

External


Since: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 53



(Msg. 6) Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:55 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Do I have to remove the alternator to do this? Admittedly I haven't
looked at it very closely yet.
M


On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 00:47:39 -0500, Tom Adkins
wrote:

>Sharon Cooke wrote:
>>
>>
>> mstrspy wrote:
>>> My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>>> because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
>>> light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
>>> it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
>>> expensive (wishfull thinking)
>>
>> If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out,
>> although it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt
>> (tensioner). Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in
>> voltmeter for $15 or so, and go by that.
>
> The alternator on your GM is pretty durable, and very repairable. The occasional
>battery light is because the brushes are likely near the end of their life though. Get
>a brush holder and brush kit along with a regulator from a "real" parts store like
>NAPA. ~$30, maybe. Pull the alternator, replace the entire "square" looking assembly
>on the back of the alternator (4 torx screws). It should then outlast the car. If the
>belt is OEM, replace it along with the tensioner. This ~$100 system tune up should
>keep your GM reliable for quite some time.
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
Sharon Cooke

External


Since: Oct 16, 2006
Posts: 160



(Msg. 7) Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:57 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

mstrspy wrote:
> Thear does have a volt meter. The volts read okay. An ammeter woud
> have been better .

A voltmeter is way more reliable & informative than an ammeter. See:
http://www.egauges.com/ATM_Tips.asp?TipPage=voltmeterammeter.htm

When you say, "volts read okay", that means what to you? Are you getting
around 14.5 volts just after startup, and 13.4~14.0 volts after warmup?

>
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:54:33 -0600, Sharon Cooke
> wrote:
>
>
>>
>>mstrspy wrote:
>>
>>>My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>>>because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The
>>>light still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is
>>>it the obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less
>>>expensive (wishfull thinking)
>>
>>If the alternator is also that old, it's probably on the way out,
>>although it could be corroded/loose connections or worn/loose belt
>>(tensioner). Don't trust the idiot light; get a cigar lighter plug-in
>>voltmeter for $15 or so, and go by that.
>
>
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
c palmer

External


Since: Nov 29, 2003
Posts: 13



(Msg. 8) Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:57 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

From: blank.RemoveThis@verizon.net (mstrspy)

My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The light
still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is it the
obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less expensive
(wishful thinking)

=====> don't feel like the lone ranger on this one. i've got a 99 crown
vic P-71 that has done this since the day i picked it up.
the light will come on for no reason and may stay on for a short period
of time. (minute to 5 minutes or more) then go out. usually, this
happens when i'm cruising at highway speeds.

at first, it bothered me. i checked the voltage out as well as the volt
meter on the dash.

i've never had any electrical problems or a discharged battery with
this car. i figure that sooner or later, the cause would show up, but
it hasn't yet.

being a P-71 series, i figured that maybe someone screwed up the wiring
taking out the special equipment or something.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
mstrspy

External


Since: Oct 23, 2005
Posts: 53



(Msg. 9) Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 am
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks for your experience on this. I will probably ignore the
problem.
I also have a chek engine light due to insufficient catalyst. I will
probably need to fix that soon to pass inspection.

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 19:57:18 -0600, PALMER_ENT.RemoveThis@webtv.net (c palmer)
wrote:

>
>From: blank.RemoveThis@verizon.net (mstrspy)
>
>My alternator light comes on occassionally. I replaced the battery
>because it was the original. Not bad for a 9 year old battery. The light
>still comes on intermittently. Anyone know what it could be? Is it the
>obvious bad alternator or could it be someting else less expensive
>(wishful thinking)
>
>=====> don't feel like the lone ranger on this one. i've got a 99 crown
>vic P-71 that has done this since the day i picked it up.
>the light will come on for no reason and may stay on for a short period
>of time. (minute to 5 minutes or more) then go out. usually, this
>happens when i'm cruising at highway speeds.
>
>at first, it bothered me. i checked the voltage out as well as the volt
>meter on the dash.
>
> i've never had any electrical problems or a discharged battery with
>this car. i figure that sooner or later, the cause would show up, but
>it hasn't yet.
>
>being a P-71 series, i figured that maybe someone screwed up the wiring
>taking out the special equipment or something.
>
>~ curtis
>
>knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
>"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
>invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
>http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
c palmer

External


Since: Nov 29, 2003
Posts: 13



(Msg. 10) Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:13 pm
Post subject: Re: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

Thanks for your experience on this. I will probably ignore the problem.
I also have a check engine light due to insufficient catalyst. I will
probably need to fix that soon to pass inspection.

=====> my theory on the Alternator light is that there is a back feed
somewhere that is causing the light to shine. for some unknown reason,
the back feed stops and turns the light out. but what is causing it???

i can only speak from my case. i've had this particular car for about 2
years and it's done it since the day i've gotten it. i have multiple
cars to drive and this car may stay parked for several months and not
started. but each time i go out and start it, it fires right up, which
means that the battery was getting the charge it needs. so..........
there are mixed signals somewhere. the light comes and goes, but yet,
the end result is that it hasn't affected the vehicle from starting. i
wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience?

~ curtis

as a post note here. i have two P-71's and the other vehicle doesn't do
this and they are the same year. the electrical checks that i've
performed between the two cars have checked out so far and there is no
hard or soft codes reflecting what this problem is.

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc
 >> Stay informed about: 98 Grand Marquis Alternator light 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Trade '97 Grand Prix service manual for '98 Grand Marquis - Does anyone have an electronic copy of a '98 Grand Marquis service manual. I have a PDF of a '97 Grand Prix service manual and many computer related technical manuals. Thanks. - Jim jim_aes@hotmail.com

Grand Marquis - I have a 1993 Grand Marquis and the wipers stopped working. We have replaced the motor, the linkage is good, the fuse and circuit breakers are all fine, any other suggestions? Thanks

Old Grand Marquis Ratings - Does anyone know (or know where I could find a listing of) of the peak torque /horsepower ratings (and their respective RPM's) for an '83 grand marquis (all stock). it's the 5.0 liter. This is pure curiosity, I've looked qutie a bit and can't seem to..

92 Grand Marquis - 4.6 liter. Check engine light is on, rough idle at times. The trouble code is 335 - EGR sensor voltage out of range. Where is the sensor? I can't find it. -- Black Dragon That which does not kill us, makes us stranger. -- Trevor Goodchild - AEon..

Mercury Grand Marquis - Hello, I'm a wholesale buyer, I buy Mercury Grand Marquis, Chevy Suberbans, and GMC Yukons and Suberbans. If you are a dealer and want someone to buy all your trade ins, I'm your man. Email me: palforce@gmail.com. Steve
   AutoBoardz (Home) -> Ford/Mercury -> Mercury Marquis Forum All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]